State of play: legislative phase
- 11 April 2018, the Commission published a number of proposals aimed at strengthening consumer protection, including a proposal on representative actions for the protection of the collective interests of consumers.
- 28 November 2019, the Council adopted a general approach on the proposal for a directive on representative actions for the protection of the collective interests of consumers.
- 12 October 2018, the IMCO Committee submitted its draft report to the JURI Committee.
- 7 December 2018, the JURI Committee adopted the report and confirmed the negotiations mandate.
- 25 March 2019, the Parliament adopted its first-reading position.
- 9 January 2020, the JURI Committee confirmed the Parliament’s negotiating position.
- 14 January 2020, the Parliament and the Council discussed the proposal in the first trilogue meeting. Work has been ongoing ever since.
22 June 2020, the Council and the Parliament reached a political agreement on the text of a new directive on collective redress.
- The Parliament as a whole, and the Council to approve the political agreement.