State of play: non-legislative phase
- 26 May 2016, the Parliament adopted a resolution on virtual currencies.
- 19 April 2018, the Parliament adopted the fifth anti-money laundering directive (AMLD V), which included new measures related to virtual currencies.
- On 2 June 2016, ESMA launched a three-month consultation on distributed ledger technology applied to securities markets.
- 8 November 2017, the Commission launched a call for tender on the feasibility of an EU blockchain infrastructure.
- 1 February 2018, the Commission launched the EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum.
- 12 February 2018, the ESAs published a joint statement to warn customers on the risks of buying virtual currencies.